By Ninder Kaur
Four British tourists seriously injured in the Tunisian beach attack have been flown back to the UK by the RAF. The specially modified RAF C17 transport plane left Brize Norton in Oxfordshire for Tunisia on Monday afternoon to safely return victims back home.
Medics were on board the plane to help injured Britons.
The Ministry of Defence said the plane had flown into Birmingham Airport, where one patient was taken off, before it continued to Brize Norton.
Professor Sir Keith Porter, a senior surgeon at the hospital, said: “I can say at this stage that the patient has life-changing and life-threatening injuries. We hope to release more information about the patient later.”
The MoD said it was working with NHS England to arrange for each patient to reach the “best hospital in their area for their needs.”
It is believed that 30 UK citizens were killed during the attack, though only 18 have so far been confirmed dead.
According to the Government, all those hurt at the resort near Sousse on Friday will be brought home in the coming hours.
Tunisian authorities have arrested several people on suspicion of helping the gunman, who had links to the jihadist group Islamic State (IS).