The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced details to complete their final fixtures of the season against rivals Australia earlier this week.
Three International T20 fixtures will be played at the Ageas Bowl, Southampton, between Sunday, September 6 and Tuesday, September 8 while three One Day International matches will take place at Old Trafford, Manchester, between Sunday, September 13 and Wednesday, September 16.
The fixtures were originally scheduled for the beginning of July, with matches set to take place across the country in Durham, Leeds, Manchester, London, Southampton and Bristol.
But, due to the coronavirus pandemic, the matches have been re-arranged with social distancing a biosecurity protocols in place.
The Australia squad received government exemption to travel to the UK to fulfil the fixtures. They will arrive in the UK next week, August 24, and train at Derbyshire’s Incora Ground before travelling to Southampton following the conclusion of England’s current test match against Pakistan on August 27.
ECB Chief Executive Officer, Tom Harrison, explained the excitement of capping England’s international season against their biggest rivals, who they last faced in last year’s World Cup semi-final.
He said: “The rivalry between England and Australia is the pinnacle of sporting competition. The Vitality IT20s and the Royal London Series will be thrilling contests and a perfect way to culminate the men’s international season in this extraordinary summer.”
Travelling between grounds and regions is prohibited during the course of the fixtures to prevent the spread of coronavirus while fans are still prohibited from attended live sports fixtures for the foreseeable future.
Biosecurity measures will also remain in place with players confined to limited to travelling between the venue of play and particular accommodation.
Both Tom Harrison and Cricket Australia interim Chief Executive Officer, Nick Hockley, praised the ECB, Cricket Australia and the Australian government for their work to ensure the fixtures could go-ahead safely.
Tom Harrison said:” “We owe a significant debt of gratitude to the players, staff and administrators of Cricket Australia for their efforts in getting this tour underway. Their co-operation to ensure these matches are staged is crucial to cricket in this country. It will also provide much-needed financial aid at all levels of cricket in England and Wales as we work through the challenges in front of us.
“I want to congratulate my colleagues at the ECB and the various bio-secure venues working tirelessly in unprecedented circumstances, as we work to ensure that all England men’s international fixtures are fulfilled during the COVID-19 pandemic.”
Nick Hockley said: “We are very excited to be heading to England and to get back into the international fray. We congratulate the ECB on leading the resumption of the game in a way that places the health and safety of players and staff at its core.
“We would also like to thank the Australian Government for granting travel exemptions for the Australian men’s team, as well as all those who have worked tirelessly to put together a plan that allows for the tour to progress in a bio-secure way.”