A landmark moment in Indian cinema, Brahmāstra is a new original universe inspired by deeply rooted concepts and tales from Indian history but set in the modern world, with epic storytelling of fantasy, adventure, good vs evil, love and hope; all told using cutting edge technology and never-seen-before visual spectacles.
Here are the top 5 things we know about the movie
- India’s first fantasy film series directed by Ayan Mukerji and bank rolled under Karan Johar’s Dharma Productions.
- First film where we see real life husband and wife, Alia and Ranbir paired together.
- ‘Brahmastra’ is a film that’s been over seven years in the making. Mukerji painstakingly built the fictional world of the story, a world where divine entities and energies have the task of protecting humanity. These entities defend humanity with the help of powerful astras (weapons), each of them unique. Four of the astras – Jalastra, Agnyastra, Prabhastra and Pawanastra – are powered by the elements of water, fire, light and wind. The other four astras, Vanarastra, Gajastra, Nag Dhanush and Nandi Astra, are powered by the energies of divine beings. The final astra, Brahmastra, is the greatest of all. It contains the collective power that was bestowed upon a select group of venerable sages, called the Brahmānsh.
- ‘Brahmastra‘ is the first instalment of a planned trilogy. The sequels have been mapped out already and Ayan Mukerji aspires to make the films an epic fantasy series solely rooted in Indian mythology.
- The film has been shot on a budget of Rs 400 crores (around £44million). This massive figure is attributed to the diverse filming locations such as Bulgaria, Thailand, London, New York, Edinburgh, Varanasi and Mumbai – and the VFX.
Director Ayan Mukerji speaks on this momentous occasion, “Marking the beginning of a new cinematic universe, ‘The Astraverse’, I believe Brahmāstra is the kind of film that India would feel really proud of. It touches on our roots; celebrates our rich culture and it takes us forward with our technology. The film is proudly Indian and Imaginative and bringing together some of Pan-India’s most renowned names was a dream come true!”
Starring a stellar ensemble cast of Amitabh Bachchan, Ranbir Kapoor, Alia Bhatt, Mouni Roy and Nagarjuna Akkineni. The movie releases in cinemas globally on 9 September 2022
Catch the trailer here