Weather forecasters have warned freezing rain is expected to result in the rapid development of widespread ice, with very dangerous travelling conditions likely.
The Met Office have put the weather warning to amber for the Yorkshire region. Here is what to expect
- Injuries from slips and falls and danger to life on icy surfaces are likely
- Black ice may form quickly affecting bus, train and air travel
- Dangerous driving conditions are likely leading to road traffic collisions, road closures and longer journey times
- Pavements and cycle paths likely to become instantly impassable because of the sudden formation of black ice
- Power and other services, such as telephone and mobile phone coverage, likely to be interrupted or cut
It is advised for residents to avoid going out and to keep warm. Local councils are using their social media platforms to advise residents on gritting services, as well as updates on weather conditions.
Those who are in vulnerable positions, are advised to contact their local council for support.
Some useful numbers:
If you are in Bradford and looking for emergency shelter, call 01274 435999
Out of hours emergency number for those homeless of looking for shelter in Kirklees can call 01484 414933