In spirit of Barbie movie, let’s revisit the beloved toy-inspired movies that once captured the hearts of audiences worldwide.
Over the years, various toy-based films have graced the silver screen, igniting the imagination and nostalgia of both young and old alike.
From the action-packed battles of Transformers and G.I. Joe to the endearing adventures of Toy Story and My Little Pony, each movie brought cherished childhood toys to life in a mesmerizing and unforgettable way.
Here is the list of Top 10 movies based on toys of all time:
- Transformers (2007) – The iconic battle between Autobots and Decepticons comes to life in this action-packed film, fueled by the popular toy line and animated TV series. One of the most beloved movie franchises of all time. Transformers was the highest-grossing non-sequel film in 2007 with over $709.7 million, making it Bay’s fourth highest-grossing film to date, with three of its sequels surpassing it.
- The Lego Movie (2014) – A brilliant and creative animated adventure that brings the beloved plastic bricks to the big screen, capturing the imagination of audiences of all ages. This movie boosted incredible sales for the toy and was highly popular among kids.
- Toy Story (1995) – The ground-breaking Pixar film that redefined animated movies, showcasing the secret lives of toys when their owners are away. The only debut film which carried the whole Pixar enterprise immediately after release. It was the highest-grossing film during its opening weekend, eventually grossing over $373 million worldwide
- G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009) – Based on the classic action figures, this film follows an elite military unit as they fight against the nefarious Cobra organization. Another highly-demanded franchise which was very popular with kids as well as adults. It was the 22nd-highest-grossing film of 2009 and the tenth-highest-grossing film of 2009 to gross $300 million worldwide behind Star Trek
- The Barbie Diaries (2006) – The Barbie Diaries was one of the initial CGI-animated Barbie movies. A delightful tale centered around the iconic Barbie doll, exploring themes of friendship, self-discovery, and empowerment. Who doesn’t love barbie? It is not surprise that Barbie Diaries made it to the list..
- Masters of the Universe (1987) – He-Man and his arch-nemesis Skeletor clash in this fantasy film based on the popular Mattel action figures. This movie is one of the first sci-fi films to be produced and hence gained immense popularity.
- Jumanji (1995) – While not directly based on a specific toy line, the film is inspired by the board game of the same name, leading to a thrilling and adventurous story. The film received mixed reviews from critics, but was a box-office success, grossing $263 million worldwide on a budget of approximately $65 million. It was the tenth-highest-grossing film of 1995.
- My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) – The beloved colourful ponies embark on a cinematic journey to save their home from dark forces. This franchise gained popularity as television series which was later made into a movie franchise.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) – The crime-fighting, pizza-loving turtles leap from the comics and action figures to the big screen in this live-action adaptation. In 1990 the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were at the absolute peak of their popularity. With an animated series bringing in millions of viewers entering its third season, the most popular boys’ toy line on the market
- Battleship (2012) – Inspired by the classic naval combat board game, this sci-fi action film pits the US Navy against an alien invasion. Costing a massive $200 million, Battleship was meant to kick off a franchise, but it landed with a thud both critically and commercially.