Sunday 8 March marks, which is an annual celebration of the achievements made by women around the world. This year’s theme is Let’s all be #EachforEqual, encouraging collective cooperation to create a gender-equal world.
The annual global celebraiton came about when women who were frustrated by the oppression and inequality they’d long suffered, became more vocal at the beginning of the 20th century in campaigning for change. In 1908, a group of women marched through New York City’s streets to demand better pay, shorter working hours and voting rights.
The first Women’s Day was observed across the US the following year in accordance with a declaration by the Socialist Party of America. The holiday is now celebrated every March 8 in dozens of countries around the world.
If you want to join in and celebrate women coming together from around the world and across generations, then Bradford has plenty happening. Here are some events you can attend on IWD:
- WOMEN’S MARCH THROUGH TIME AT THE PEACE MUSEUM BETWEEN 12 – 1400. Free entry. This is an exciting experience to don a headset and travel through time and history, to explore the story of women’s resistance. Using artefacts from the Peace Museum’s unique collection, this VR experience invites you to wander through a virtual protest march, featuring women from the Chartists through to modern day. Meet the experts and hear the experiences of women and girls involved in the project. For more information visit: www.peacemuseum.org.uk
- WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES AT CITY PARK – AT 12.30 Join other women and walk a measured mile around City Park. Tell your story and listen to other inspiring stories from women whose walk may have been different. Write and send or bring your story to share.
- INSPIRATIONAL WOMAN FOUNDATION SPORTS CLUB & NOMINATION LAUNCH – From 11 – 6pm Join in some fun and participate in a range of free sports taster sessions, ranging from Boxing to fencing, to Football and cricket. There will also be a Bollywood flash mob where you can dance to some popular Bollywood moves and also help unveil the nominations for the return of Bradford’s Inspirationa Women Awards. Entry is FREE with refreshments included. The event is at Carlton Bolling College Sports Hal, Undercliffe Lane, BD3 0DU. For more information visit: https://www.facebook.com/Inspirationalwomenfoundation/
- BRADFORD PARK AVENUE LADIES CRICKET INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY – FROM 1700. Guest Speaker Lord Mayor Cllr Doreen Lee will be sharing her story, there will be cricket and kickboxing sessions along with refreshments, dancing, mehndi, games and Yorkshire Tea with Cream. The event is at Khidmat Centre, Spencer Road, Bradford, BD7. For more information visit: https://bit.ly/39yEzyH
- HUMAN APPEAL IWDJoin Human Appeal in Bradford to celebrate the achievements of women at a women-only event . Take the evening off to listen to inspirational stories from their guest speaker’s, Ustada Ameena Blake, “The Hijabi Boxer” Saffiyya Saeed and Sanaa Khan Fitness, plus a three-course meal and raise funds for sustainable livelihoods in Pakistan. The event is at Regency Hall Yorkshire, Bradford BD1 5EE. Event starts at 7:00pm More information can be found here: https://humanappeal.org.uk/donate/projects/events